|Airdate||August 25, 1997|
"A Game of Checkers" is the eighth episode of the first season, and the eighth episode overall of the HBO television series Oz.
After months of tension, a riot breaks loose in Em City, started by two inmates playing a game of checkers. McManus goes in to trade himself for a couple of wounded hostages and the Governor decides to take back Em City by force.
- Ricardo Alvarez- COD: Alzheimer's disease
- Eugene Dobbins- COD: Stabbed to death
- C.O. Eddie Hunt- COD: Shot to death
- C.O. Anthony Nowakowski- COD: Shot to death
- Carlos Rodrigo- COD: Shot in the head
- Scott Ross- COD: Shot to death